Sunday 15 February 2015

Seasonal Calendars & Diaries.

Seasonal calendars lists the company and or store events, public holidays. The implementation of christmas shop, back to school department. Local events such as christmas light turn on, carnivals, fairs.
Depending on what industry you work in events such as, fashion week (London, Milan, new york,) film awards, film launches, festivals, comic conventions, carnivals, 
For this you best using a year wall planer to keep on your office or visual room.
This will help to plan windows and displays as well as an inspirational tool.
High light different events, to make it as clear as possible for your self at what the year ahead holds.
If you are near to where there is a film festival, awards event or film premier you might want to create a window influenced by the event.

It is always a good idea to have an A4 or A5 day to view size diary, for personal use, to list events, moves, window plans, mannequin dressings and any thing else, (this is additional to daily check list)
As well as useful phone numbers such as:
Head office,
Head office signs and graphics
Regional visual merchandising manager
Stores in your region and names of their VM.
Building maintenance 
Window cleaner
Hire company for cleaning equipment, ladders, cherry pickers,
Hire vans 
Cab companies 
It all depends on the company, most larger companies have a building maintainaces. department where you report something and they organise the repairs, but just in case emergence companies are worth having a note of. As well as working at hight's safely the use of ladders or cherry pickers may be needed

What I use.
When I started working as a Visual Merchandiser in 2007 I used a Filofax Personal size and Filofax A4 folder, and a one day per page A5 diary (also known as ‘the brick’ due to its side) which went with me.
I used a personal size for day to day use, notting when and where I was working, travel details and any information if I needed to stay over somewhere.
The A5 diary had todo lists, event plans, window changes, department moves, mannequin changes, figures and any other information that I needed
The A4 folders had staff training notes and any other print outs that I needed.
(This dose not  include the year, month and day check lists and planers that were kept at the store.)
I wish I still had the contents to show as, If I do say so myself was immaculately organised on my behalf.

I used to use a year wall planer to make out events, but at the moment I am using an A4 wall calendar which I broke down and have marked on events through out the year with wash tape, to put in to a folder. with check lists window design sketches, notes and photos.
Like any planer, it is down to the individual how they set up their folders, these are just suggestions on how you can set them up, as this was my lay lay out.

folder 1
divider labels;
Seasonal calendar.
Mannequin dressing.
Windows
Store and department flows and plans. 
Store floor plans, square footage, sight lines and focal points.

folder 2
Divider Labels:
12 dividers labeled jan’- dec
Daily check list
Weekly check list

OR
Divider Labels:
Daily check list
Weekly check list
Monthly planer

This is an example of how I have laid out my folder. Normal It is kept in a leaver arch folder but for this purpose I have put it in to a standard small folder.
At the front of the folder I would have my calander with events marked on of fashion, film, festivals events and film releases.
In the next section I have mannequin dressing update suggestions which head office wound send every two to three weeks
 Section three had the window change print out, which consisted of four window lay outs with graphics, graphic placements, and products.
Section four contains the store flow, listing which order they would go as you walked through the store. for example women's, lingerie, mens, children's.
as well as the lay outs for each division within the departments, for example, women's wear lay flow, knit wear, outer wear, jersey, formal, party.
this section also has plans for fixture layouts.
Section five, holds copy's of floor plans, square footage, floor plan with sight lines and focal points.
 At the back are fixture stencils for 1:100 floor plan.

I also used to have section for events, such as card holder events, sales, christmas shop and back to school shop.


Folder two. This is for check lists and in store planer. I here it is divided in to 13 sections one with master copy's and other 12 labeled January to December.

Section one contains master copy's of weekly/fortnightly check lists, daily check lists, department check lists.
At the start of each month section is the monthly planer which has window changes, movers, events, marked on.
 Behind this are the daily check lists working in revers (30th/31st to 1st).
 I'd clip them together with a mini bull dog clip just to keep them together, and to divide them from the weekly/fortnightly check lists. 

 weekly/fortnightly cheek list.

Also amongst the folders on the desk is the signage check list, which list all the signage that comes in on the delivery. (window signage, a3's, wall graphics, etc...)

No comments:

Post a Comment